RTC will keep you informed and up to date on the latest news, events and traffic information during this improvement project.
This RTC-sponsored project will include operational and capacity improvements on Mill Street from 300 feet west of Kietzke Lane to Terminal Way in Reno, Nevada, approximately 0.75 miles in total length.
Improvements will include:
- Widening of Mill Street from four to five lanes 300 feet west of Kietzke Lane to the I-580 southbound entrance ramp.
- Free-flow right turn from eastbound Mill Street to southbound I-580.
- New signalized intersection at Mill Street and Golden Lane; in conjunction with the closure of Mill Street access from Redwood Place and Louise Street
- Intersection safety and operational improvements at the intersections of Reservation Drive and Matley Lane by allowing right-in / right-out only movements to/from Mill Street.
- Undergrounding existing overhead utilities west of I-580.
- Drainage improvements to accommodate roadway widening.
- Americans with disabilities (ADA) improvements along the project limits to ensure ADA compliancy.
Engineers are in the process of final design anticipated in late 2022. After design is complete, easement and right of way needs will be finalized and obtained prior to construction in mid-2024.
Final design will determine which properties might be impacted during construction. For more information about the right-of-way process, please review the Right-of-Way Frequently Asked Questions (coming soon) or contact RTC’s Project Manager at 775.335.1881.
The total project cost including design, permitting, obtaining easements and right of way, construction, and construction management – is approximately $60 million. At this time, the project is primarily funded with local fuel tax revenue.
Complete utility impacts will be determined with final design. To accommodate the roadway widening west of I-580, the overhead utilities will be relocated underground. The project team will work closely with all utilities and partner agencies including, City of Reno, Nevada Department of Transportation, AT&T, Charter, NV Energy, Truckee Meadow Water Authority, Zayo, and Verizon.
This will depend on final project improvements, but may include:
- The first phase of construction will include relocation of utilities. This work may include sidewalk closures, and temporary lane closures.
- Roadway improvements will require longer-term shoulder and/or lane closures and may include minor detours.
- Sign up to receive project updates at: millstreetwidening.com
- Please call or email:
Dale Keller, P.E. Engineering Director
Lauren Ball, RTC PIO